Thursday 19 May 2016

Milk and Honey, poetry

"A poet exposes her heart"

Rupi Kaur has written poetry, performed spoken word, and engaged in other forms of art as a way of expressing herself. Rupi has recently published her first book of poems, Milk and Honey! Rupi talks about her journey through life. Her mother tougher her from a young age to paint and draw and throughout the book you can see her own illustrations coupled with her poems.
Rupi said growing up, she would write poems for friends for their birthdays or as notes to her 'crushes'. She said although they were silly, writing then wasn't as central to her as it is now. "Writing didn't matter to me at all because art was my first love growing up". But now she has combined both and in my opinion the effect is quite magical. It is now my favourite poetry book. I am completely transfixed about how heavily the poetry moved me. The form of expression, the ability to knock the breath out of someones stomach with a sentence, and that is power. Rupi said before discovering this type of poetry her body and heart "was heavy with thoughts and emotions" and she had not yet found a way to express herself. She finally came to find that words came to be her best line of defence, and wielded her pen like armour and a sword.
The book has really allowed me to believe in myself, my thoughts, and ideals as a person. One chapter in particular 'The Healing' speaks of ideals, balance, self acceptance, identity and humility.
In short, I love this book.










No comments:

Post a Comment